Wednesday, August 12, 2009

finding the 'green lining'...

It has been a crazy couple of weeks around my home, it all began with the crash of my Mac hard-drive. My hard-drive crashed taking with it about 15,000 images--of course they were not backed up--and loads of other info. Something in my beautiful Sony DSLR ground to a high-pitched whining halt--still undiagnosed--this was the beginning of our two week techno-slide. No camera, no Mac.

After picking up My Mac from my local Apple-certified repair guy I was feeling a bit better, still so sad about those irreplaceable images though. A few days later we had a bad storm during which lightning struck the giant Walnut tree in our yard--poor baby has a lightning scar from top to bottom--traveled along the roots of the tree towards the house. The lightning tripped a few breakers, frying our television set and internet hook-up in the process. So I had my brand spanking new hard-drive and no internet and no TV. I was prepared to have a good cry! And I did.

The point of this story is that all of these disruptions served me in many ways. I learned the hard way to always back up my data, that was a no-brainer. I learned that I am a TV junkie, not by volume but by necessity of habit. Having no hope of seeing my 'usual shows' gave me--I reluctantly admit--the shakes. I now know the double meaning of the term internet hook-up, it is not only a physical link with the internet but an emotional link with all that I love about being in the flow of information.

This serious down time gave me an opportunity to be quiet, really quiet, old fashioned quiet. No more stealing away to the couch to eat lunch in front of the TV. I started sitting alone at the kitchen table to eat (it is a very sweet table!). No more watching Jeopardy while eating dinner with my hubby, we started sitting at the dining-room table again (another very nice table!). I have rekindled my romance with all things slow; like listening to the music of the world around me, tablecloths, cloth napkins, place-mats, silence and my very own thoughts while gazing out the window as I eat.

After researching new televisions we went to a local, very nicely run chain-store and bought a beautiful Energy Star rated TV from a nice man named Doug. Doug treated us with respect and did not pressure us--although he did try to sell us the extended warranty but that's his job after all--it was a great experience. We recycled our 6 year-old TV at the chain-store--they laughed when my husband pulled it out of the car in its original box--and got a $50 gift card for doing so.

The really nice thing is that we are watching almost no TV, we are discontinuing our cable service and will be renting movies for entertainment. We eat all of our meals at table now. We are getting more done around the house in the evenings and are talking and laughing more. I am, after all is said and done, a very happy camper. BTW my dear sister loaned me her spare camera so I am back in business!

I am feeling so much leaner and greener. Have an ever-so beautiful day and don't forget to unplug from time to time. Have yourselves a green moment, a Green Hour and a very green day!

1 comment:

  1. what hurts us makes us stronger. what disconnects us makes us greener. and wiser i think.

    while costly and disruptive indeed, it is good to have our world shaken from time to time. we find out what is really important. xoox!!

    ReplyDelete